Game over. We lost. Nothing to see here, move along.

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 16:04:16 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:25 +0000, Juliet Kemp wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 08:31:50PM +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 10:51 +0000, Simon Wistow wrote:
> > > This long, incoherent rant has been bought to you by the unholy
> > > combination of NyQuil, Benylin, Ibuprofen, Halls Soothers and
> > > Camomile
> > > Tea.
> >
> > Ah, you sound in need of Dirk's Patent Cold Cure [tm]
>
> [snip details]
>
> Sounds very much like mine, except that my version usually excludes the
> aspirin (though it depends how bad you're feeling).

Ah, there is a reason for all the ingredients:-

  * aspirin: feverfuge (reduces fever symptoms), anti-pyretic (reduces
    heat) and anti-inflammatory (stops nose bunging up so much),
    improves circulation and has analgesic properties.
  * cinnamon: feverfuge and anti-pyretic and tastes nice (older viewers
    will remember the cinnamon tablets that you could buy specifically
    for colds and flu).
  * alchohol: anti-pyretic by increasing surface blood flow (helps to
    make you sweat - thus cooling you down) and tastes nice.
  * honey: (esp. Manuka honey) is anti bacterial and other
    good things and tastes nice.
  * lemon: source of vitamin C and bioflavanoids and tastes nice.
  * ginger: stimulant and anti-pyretic (probably has vitamins) and
    yes, you've probably got the idea now, tastes nice.

> The other crucial part is *not* dragging yourself into work, infecting
> everyone around you, & making the cold last longer because you're using
> energy up trying to work rather than just fighting the cold (I bloody
> hate working with someone with a streaming cold).  A day on the sofa
> with frequent hot drinks & Buffy or similar on DVD will see off a lot of
> colds before they get a hold :-)

Here here!!

Dirk