[ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Thursday, 2nd of February - The Prince Arthur, Euston

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Jan 20 14:09:45 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:33:05PM +0000, Nigel Rantor said:
> Hmm...that surprises me, maybe it means people are just a lot more
> willing to talk crap about other people's code than to go and do
> something to prove it, oh, hold on...*lightbulb*

Which reminds me.

Adam Kennedy recently posted a nice bit on "Can't You Just ..."

    http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/28412

which is best described by Andy Lester here

    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3593

Adam's post makes some very reasoned points and touches on, amongst
other things, various problems with CPAN.

Hilariously someone named Bart has commented on the post complaining
that CPAN doesn't cater well for external, none Perl libraries and
posits

     "Ideally, make should simply go fetch the library and install it."

which translates as[0]

     "Can't make just go and fetch the library and install it."

Oh how I laughed.

Simon

[0] Or more explicitly

     "I want make to do this for me but instead of thinking
      through the rather glaring problems and/or attempting to
      implement it myself I shall pound my tiny fists and
      demand someone else implement it"