[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 23 11:38:58 GMT 2006

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 22/02/06, Paul Makepeace <london.pm.org at paulm.com> wrote:
>
>>Je 2006-02-22 13:52:53 +0000, O'Shaughnessy, Jamie skribis:
>>
>>>My original point was more about the apparent lack of good developers, who are not just technical, but are more rounded -
>>
>>Maybe they're being hired by folks with more money / more challenges /
>>more technically interesting stuff going on?
>

> Probably - I got a couple of interviews in slough, and decided it
> wasn't worth the grief - there are a good selection of companies in
> slough, but slough is even grimer than bracknell (where I worked for
> 18 months). You could always live in windsor or maidenhead which are
> reasonably nice, but way over-priced.

I lived and worked in Bracknell for 4 years - the town centre is now
worse than Sluff - alternating shops boarded up of charity shops.
On the bright side, you can get an illuminated 3 button mouse for 1.99
in the "cheap shop" next to the cop shop :-)

The car parks have cameras on entry and exit - and big signs warning of
car thieves operating in the area - and they do!

The cameras in the station car park DO NOT work - and so anyone who
parks there tends to lose the contents of the car. Most people
drive through to Ascot or Virgina water where parking is safer.

On Sunday, we were in the town centre buying some 3ft long sds bits to
run some cat5e through a wall and part of the town was cordoned off by
lots of police. When we got back to Pauls sister's house to finish off
the cabling she mentioned that it was a rape on Saturday evening - nasty.

> Quite why anybody would decide to move offices for professional
> graduate level staff to slough is a mystery, for a call centre or
> factory, slough might be ok for recruiting kids who left school with 2
> GCSE's or less.

They probably got the building dirt cheap/no rates for N years/... :-)

> For people with a mortgage somewhere much nicer and
> kids, they really aren't going to want to relocate to that dump or
> waste a couple of hours commuting on grotty trains or congested roads
> each way.

I live around 20 minutes drive from the 'zon office and I would probably
hate that run - it is a nightmare with police training during the summer
and CD plates running every second red light, you have to have good
tyres, brakes and reacion times :-)

Also they may be doing a "B*rcl*ys" - this is where you move all of your
IT operations to the middle of nowhere, pay everyone moving expenses
then (a year or so later) tell them they are all getting a pay cut
because they now live in a much cheaper area - you then spend the next
four years trying to replace staff who walked.

Jacqui