[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Feb 23 11:55:34 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:38:58AM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> I live around 20 minutes drive from the 'zon office and I would probably
> hate that run - it is a nightmare with police training during the summer
> and CD plates running every second red light, you have to have good
> tyres, brakes and reacion times :-)

CD being diplomatic plates? If so, why so many there?

Also, anyone have any idea why there is a diplomatic parking space outside
Inmarsat in Cowper Street next to the Old Street roundabout. And even
stranger, why it quite often had a car with D plates parked in it?

> Also they may be doing a "B*rcl*ys" - this is where you move all of your
> IT operations to the middle of nowhere, pay everyone moving expenses
> then (a year or so later) tell them they are all getting a pay cut
> because they now live in a much cheaper area - you then spend the next
> four years trying to replace staff who walked.

In this case I doubt it (or they've been horribly inefficient). They've been
there since (at least) 2001 as I think my CV got to them around them, but
their request for an interview came I'd accepted a job somewhere else, so
I've never been to see the place. Hence I don't know if it lives up (well,
down) to the preconceptions. I suspect it doesn't have enough hills for me.

I still like the last verse best, although "synthetic air" is growing on me:
   http://www.pmms.cam.ac.uk/~gjm11/poems/slough

I've always had this theory that it doesn't matter how ugly the building you
live in looks, because while inside it, you don't have to look at it, so
there's one less eyesore on your vista. I don't know if this applies at a
larger scale.

Nicholas Clark