units (Re: DAB [was Re: Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)])

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Fri Feb 24 09:15:04 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:27:34PM -0500, muppet wrote:

>Second: wtf is wrong with their setup that requires a 3GHz processor to run a
>freaking TCP/IP connection?

Cheap cable/ADSL cards are the new winmodems. You need about 2GHz to run
Windows these days[0], and since the card offloads most of its
processing onto the CPU (including bouncing the several viruses per
second that are standard with an unfiltered connection) you'll need a
load more to be able to play the games that everyone knows are the only
reason anyone ever gets a high-speed connection at home.

>Third: does the Macintosh and the whole megahertz mythbusting really have so
>little mindshare that people at an ISP have never heard of non-Windows
>computers?

Yes.

Roger

[0] I don't want to hear your counterexamples. That's what many people
seem to believe.