Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboards Rock/Suck (the "no good Perl jobs"/"ergo keyboards" myth)

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Wed Aug 9 10:33:38 BST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 09:49, Andy Wardley wrote:
> Not sure I buy this line:
>
>   "Like on a piano, since there are no keys to look at when
>    typing, your brain will quickly adapt and memorize the key
>    positions."

I dunno about the Piano statement, but I had serious problems
learning to touch type. My eyes would always be attracted to the keys
and I would revert to a hunt and peck style of typing. That is, until
I changed to using a different keyboard layout. I don't think it was
so much that Dvorak is 'better' (that's for a different argument) but
that I would now just confuse myself by looking at the keys. Touch
typing became natural very quickly. I'd imagine just blank keys would
do the same for me on a plain qwerty layout.

Stig