Ras al Hanut Chicken

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Fri Sep 8 11:33:58 BST 2006

John Costello wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Simon Wistow wrote:
>> I found myself cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen last night with a store
>> cupboard not as well stocked as I'm used to. A quick run to WholeFoods
>> (a strictly organic supermarket run, I believe, by the same people who
>> do Fresh and Wild in the UK) and I managed to cobble together something.
> That is correct.
>> I got some very large skin-on, bone in chicken breasts and scored them
>> fairly deeply a few times. Then I chucked them in a large bowl with 2
>> generous table spoons of Ras al Hanut, some olive oil and 2 or 3 tsp of
> Do you know what spices were in your Ras al Hanut?  I've looked around and
> found that the combination of ingredients varies from 6 to up to 27
> ingredients.

This is also correct. The term literally means "top of the shop" and
describes the best spices that the owner at his disposition. 6 is pretty
a low count of spices. 20 is more usual, and 35 is not out of the question.

Like miso soup, there are as many recipes/blends as are there are makers.

Much of the propaganda that passes for news in our own society is given
to immobilising and pacifying people and diverting them from the idea
that they can confront power. -- John Pilger