Ras al Hanut Chicken

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Fri Sep 8 11:33:58 BST 2006

John Costello wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Simon Wistow wrote:
>
>> I found myself cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen last night with a store
>> cupboard not as well stocked as I'm used to. A quick run to WholeFoods
>> (a strictly organic supermarket run, I believe, by the same people who
>> do Fresh and Wild in the UK) and I managed to cobble together something.
>
> That is correct.
>
>> I got some very large skin-on, bone in chicken breasts and scored them
>> fairly deeply a few times. Then I chucked them in a large bowl with 2
>> generous table spoons of Ras al Hanut, some olive oil and 2 or 3 tsp of
>
> Do you know what spices were in your Ras al Hanut?  I've looked around and
> found that the combination of ingredients varies from 6 to up to 27
> ingredients.

This is also correct. The term literally means "top of the shop" and
describes the best spices that the owner at his disposition. 6 is pretty
a low count of spices. 20 is more usual, and 35 is not out of the question.

Like miso soup, there are as many recipes/blends as are there are makers.

David
--
Much of the propaganda that passes for news in our own society is given
to immobilising and pacifying people and diverting them from the idea