Test card (was Re: What shame? [Was: What a shame...]

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Thu Oct 26 22:05:28 BST 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> The "test card" was something they transmitted on the television when
> there were no programs, it was used to calibrate the television
> transmission and receiving equipment.  You can see them
> http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/bbc_test.html - the one that would
> have been used at the time was the one with the little girl and the
> ballon clown.

A version of the test card appears in the BBC series, "Life on Mars," and
the little girl occasionally comes to live to scare the hell out of the
main character (as well as viewers in the States who are "young" in
British tv culture).

> Hope that helps.

It does. We were wondering about the test card, the girl, and the clown.

> /J\

----
"Sadness is just another word for not enough coffee."--Wally, in Dilbert