imapsync

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 14:22:53 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 13:55 +0000, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> Dirk Koopman wrote:
> > I am just in the process of evaluating various IMAP servers and I am
> > trying to use imapsync, a perl app, but it seems to use vast amounts of
> > cpu and doesn't do what it says on the tin, viz: syncronise mailboxes.
> > It copies OKish, but duplicates any messages that it already has sent.
> >
> > What I actually need is a reliable "copy the contents of this user's
> > (huge amount of) mail, spread over several 10's of folders on one IMAP
> > server onto another (empty) one". If it actually syncronises as well (a
> > la rsync) that would be a bonus.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
>   Please excuse me for starting *so* basic.
>
>   It seems that your problem is sysadmin stuff: copy a user's imap mail
> folders from one place to another.
>
>   All the times I needed to do this kind of stuff, I used some ackward
> combination of tar, gzip, scp, ssh and perl.
>
>   I think this would work better for you than a "tool" that "copy (imap)
> files and folders".

Sadly no.

I have a UW-Imap server that stores its mailboxes in MBX format and I
want to copy the content and structure of a huge user (me) into three
other IMAP servers and then do some comparisons. Since each of these
IMAP servers stores their data in (respectively) MySQL, Postgres and
Berkeley DB files it is a bit impractical to write a specific import
routine for from MBX to each sort.

This especially when there is the handy, er..., standard called IMAPv4
which is supposed to insulate us from the implementation details.

So imapsync is actually, for me, just the job - except it does not seem
to work very well nor reliably.

Dirk