Repetitive Strain Injury

Elizabeth Mattijsen liz at dijkmat.nl
Mon Jan 15 12:30:36 GMT 2007

At 1:26 PM +0100 1/15/07, Merijn Broeren wrote:
>Quoting Pete Sergeant (pete at clueball.com):
>  > I've been back in full time work now for 6 months, and can happily type
>>  all day (occasionally, at the weekends, the pain returns, but it's mild,
>  > and goes away quickly). The solution?
>For me a normal mouse causes pain after prolonged use. Switching to a
>thumb trackball ten years ago has alleviated all problems. I've got
>several liberally sprinkled across house and office. Amusingly my
>missus first hated them and has now got one at her office as well,
>saying she is twice as productive and has no mouse elbow either anymore.
>Her Health and Safety officer was very reluctant to let her use it :-)

FWIW, before moving to a notebook trackpad exclusively about 5 years,
I used of track ball to prevent any starting RSI I was getting, as
far back as 1996.  Specifically the ones with optical tracking.

Nowadays, the right click / scroll trackpad of MacBooks (using two
fingers instead of one) helps me even further, as it significantly
reduces the number of mouse moves and key presses.

Liz