Perl Debugging Problems...

Luis Motta Campos luismottacampos at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 08:34:31 GMT 2007

   Hello Richard.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Richard Foley wrote:

>>> It would really help to see some sample code, or context, or
>>> screenshots, or
>>> something...
>>
>>    I know.
>>    But I don't know what to send.
>>    There are nearly 12K lines of perl code being invoked for this
>> test script.
>>    Maybe you could help me with guidelines so I can build a
>> minimalistic bug-reproduction script...
>>
> Are you using threads, old or new?  Are you forking or using
> pipes?  Are you
> redirecting STD(IN/OUT) or DB(IN/OUT) anywhere strange?  The
> possibilities
> are endless.

   Hum. Maybe I'm redirecting STDERR somewhere in the code... this is
a new codebase to me, and everything is complicated... :-( I will try
and find if I'm redirecting or using strange handles for files
somewhere. Nice tip. Thanks.

> With little or no information to go on, it's hard to suggest a
> reasonable
> solution, but you could try using ptkdb as an alternative
> debugger.  If the
> behaviour continues, the suspect is your code, if it stops, it may
> be the
> debugger itself.

   ptkdb? Never heard about this. Asking about this to the Drunk
Librarian brought this up:

   http://ptkdb.sourceforge.net/

   I hope that's the thing you're talking about.

   And here I will ask for a bit more advice: I'm on an Apple Mini
Mac workstation, and only have access to the development environment
by secure shell (of course I can redirect displays and do all that
*nix magic with X interface I love so much).

   Is there any good X11 implementation to MacOSX that worth a try? I
would give preference to the open-source ones, for educative
reasons. ;-)

   Thanks!
--
Luis Motta Campos is a software engineer,
perl fanatic evangelist, and amateur {cook, photographer}