On Topic: 1. perl-begin.berlios.de + 2. Meta: Apology for Tactlessness

Shlomi Fish shlomif at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:23:56 BST 2007

Hi Andy! (and all)

On 4/6/07, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2007, at 10:00, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > I'll be glad to help contributors help me. If you are someone I
> > know, I would
> > gladly give you a commit bit. To do that send me an email with the
> > requested
> > username and password in a separate text file encrypted with my
> > public key (
> > http://www.shlomifish.org/me/ ). Otherwise, you can prepare a patch
> > against the
> > Subversion sources (not the HTML themselves, which are generated from
> > templates) - http://perl-begin.berlios.de/source/ , send it to me
> > and I'll give
> > you the write permissions to apply it. (Also send me the username
> > +password
> > encrypted again).
>
> Could the whole site not be a wiki? From a quick scan it seems as if
> the non-wiki parts contain wikish content.

None of the site (everything on http://perl-begin.berlios.de/ ) is a
wiki. The only parts that are have been moved to http://perl.net.au/ .

What the site is, is a set of templates based on Latemp (
http://web-cpan.berlios.de/latemp/ ) which are pre-generated into
static HTML and then uploaded to the site. It is maintained using an
svn repository with world-wide read access and write access to
selected contributers.The small parts that are in the wiki have all
been wiki-ified from the start, and I like to edit them independently.

You say that the non-wiki parts are wiki-ish (from a "quick scan"). I
don't know what you mean by wiki-ish and whether it is good or bad,
but they are static HTML, with full control of the HTML and CSS and
maintained by hand. If you have more concrete comments with comments
to the text, and suggestions for corrections, say so, but otherwise
it's hard for me to deal with a vague and general criticism like this
one.

> > I later on have been talking a lot with merlyn on Freenode's #perl.
> > He seems
> > like a very nice guy, and I'm pretty sure he's a good guy (i.e: not a
> > malevolent one), and certainly has been very productive, and also
> > helpful
> > to many people with Perl, UNIX or other problems. I asked him to
> > forgive me
> > for this post, and he did. Merlyn is not without his faults, of
> > course, but
> > I won't mention them here.
>
> You see I'd say that's borderline tactless again. If you're supposed
> to be in apologising mode a throwaway line like "Merlyn is not
> without his faults, of course, but I won't mention them here." isn't
> especially diplomatic :)
>
> For the record I too am not without my faults - but I won't mention
> them here either.

You are right - that was a mis-phrasing. I meant that Randal is a nice
guy - his faults put aside. English is not my native tongue, and I
sometimes phrase myself improperly.

That put aside, I am not without my faults either, but I'll let you
find them by yourself from a quick STFWing and be the judge of them.
But I also can testify for being a good guy, and other people can
testify for that too.

Regards,

            Shlomi Fish