Perl Books (for ladies)

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu May 3 11:47:40 BST 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 11:00:34AM +0100, Jacqui caren said:
> Seriously, I did not feel welcome and would think carefully before
> making such a long trip again.

Hmm, well, apologies for that.

We do have a bit of a problem and this issue has been discussed on and
off for, oooh, going on 7 years now.

On the one hand London.pm is a surprisingly tight knit community. It's
part of what makes it great. Having been to other PM meetings in various
places around the world it'ssomething I really appreciate. And for a lot
of members of the group the meeting once a month is a good oppurtunity
to catch up with friends.

On the other hand this can, and does, come across as cliquey and
initimidating. I've never, ever, in the 8 or so years I've been coming
to l.pm seen anyone that was actively unwelcome. But it can be hard to
break into a group huddled in the corner swapping machismo and in-jokes.

The fact that we're a large group makes it hard. if we were smaller I
think it would be easier. The fact that we're mostly male is also hard.

One of the reasons we have to policy of the leader buying newcomers a
drink is that it (hopefully) helps with the integration of new people.
Also I and a few of the 'old hands' make an active effort to try and
speak to people we don't recognise.

If anybody has any (polite) suggestions thenplease let me know, either
on list or via private mail.

Also, if people who've been coming for a while could make an extra
effort to be welcoming then I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,

Simon