Book stores (Re: Perl books (for ladies)

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Thu May 3 23:21:27 BST 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, John Costello wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2007, Nic Gibson wrote:
> > > John
> > > [1] Seattle has a better array of bookstores, for one.
> >
> > Portland has Powells.
>
> Powells is a chain of bookstores.  The difference between Portland and
> Seattle bookstores is like the difference between the Cathedral (Portland)
> and the Bazaar (Seattle).  In Portland, there is Powells, and not much (or
> anything) else by way of independent bookstores.

I suppose my comment above misses an important point, though.  A cathedral
is easier for tourists to appreciate and navigate than a bazaar.  Powells
is much friendlier than the odd tangle of bookstores in Seattle.  Eliot
Bay Books is the nicest independent store in town, but is quite small
compared to Powells.

John