test message

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Sep 28 22:33:25 BST 2007

On 28 Sep 2007, at 15:53, Nicholas Clark wrote:
[...]
> I can sort of see the practicality of that at one level, but on the
> other hand
> it seems a bit strange - I would have more thought that all pubs of
> sufficient
> standard should be in the good beer guide, so that if I stumble
> onto a pub at
> random I can determine whether it is worth going inside.

It's a talent, which I have nicknamed "beerdar", one I seem to have
got fairly good at.

Generally, you can sense whether a pub is any good by the outside. If
the pub has a sign outside saying "Sky TV inside" or "Karaoke" or
"Quiz Night", it's going to be hell. If you didn't even notice there
was a pub there and had to go up and look it straight in the eye,
you're onto a winner. Pubs in between are usually good for a half-
pint as a trial.

I've led a few people to the Jerusalem Tavern who just didn't realise
there was a point down that street until I pointed out the pub sign.
They sure weren't in a hurry to get away from the place :)