Recommended magazines

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:46:28 GMT 2007

On 30/10/2007, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 10:50:38AM +0000, Aaron Trevena wrote:
>
> > Dr Dobbs used to be a fun read, I lost interest about 3 years ago when
> > every issue was either entirely Java (and hence binned due to being
> > entirely obselete within 12 months with the next release)
>
> Just because an article gives its example code in Java doesn't mean that
> the article isn't worth reading.  I've picked up good ideas from C,
> Python, Java and even Visual BASIC.

Thats the thing - so have I, at least I used to - I found it harder
and harder to find anything useful in there - the quality of articles
has deteriated and the stuff that's not hand-waving vaguery is so
specific to a particular library or product that it's of no use at
all.

The problem is actually that most of the articles aren't just in Java
or C# but are very specific to a library or application in said
language, to the point of being entirely inapplicable elsewhere.

On top of that I find Java centered articles very hard to get anything
out of - the code is painfully verbose that it's very hard to see the
wood for the trees, and any interesting implementation details are
usually hidden or unmentioned in some library they use.

>  DDJ generally had one article a  month worth reading, and that alone made it
> worthwhile getting an employer to pay for it.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk