Laptop Recommendations

Toby Corkindale tjc at
Wed Nov 28 23:20:00 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:58:35PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:19:41PM +0000, Martin Robertson wrote:
> [...]
> > I was going to shout *MacBook* too, but a qwik search for 3G on
> > only seems to point out 3rd Gen ipod nano covers :)
> Well, Apple don't grok 3G, as evidenced by the iPhone, so I wouldn't hold
> your breath for a 3G-capable one. However the machines do have built-in
> Bluetooth, so you can just use a phone as a wireless modem instead.

I was using my MacBook with a Windows-Mobile-based 3G mobile phone and a data
plan, and it was faster than I expected. The 3G reception was rather poor in
the main location I used, causing random drop-outs though - but it works like a
charm in good reception areas.
You should check that your g/f's flat has strong 3G reception; having your
phone lose packets is annoying if you're trying to work over ssh. For downloads
and email, it's less of a concern.