[ANNOUNCE] London.pm - Feb '08 - Meeting

Kake L Pugh kake at earth.li
Tue Jan 22 16:13:16 GMT 2008

On Tue 22 Jan 2008, Bob Walker <bob at randomness.org.uk> wrote:
> the large orange box at the bottom of the RGL[0] page will help with this.
> it is even javascript enabled for bonus web 2.0 points.

Hurrah for the orange box!  Yes, it has a button to show the
straight-line distances to the nearest Tube stations, plus a box to
let you generate Journey Planner and Walkit[1] links from wherever you're
going from.  A new and exciting feature that I added to the orange box
yesterday is the ability to search for nearby public toilets and cash
machines (not our data - it comes from yourlondon.gov.uk - but do let
me know if you find mistakes).

Anyway, the closest Tube/rail station is Liverpool Street.  Come out
of the Bishopsgate exit[2], cross the road at the crossing immediately in
front of you (once you've negotiated the coffee stall and the free
paper people that is); when you get to the other side, turn left and
continue along towards Dirty Dick's (identifiable from a distance by
the red neon lighting on the outside[3]).  Turn right into Middlesex
Street just after Dirty Dick's, and the pub is a little way down on
your right.  The function room is downstairs.

My bus map says that buses which go down Bishopsgate are the 8, 26,
35, 47, 48, 78, 149, 242, and 388.  Of these I can only personally
vouch for the 47 and 48.

Kake

[0] NMF.
[1] http://www.walkit.com/ - Journey Planner for walkers.  It's great.
[2] The Bishopsgate exit is the one on the east side of the station.
    I've used this station several times and I still sometimes have trouble
    finding this exit from the inside.  The overground rail lines leave the
    station to the north, so get the rail platforms on your left hand side
    and keep going ahead to the very end of the concourse, where you will
    see steps and escalators.  You may be tempted to give up halfway through
    because the steps are hidden by the departures board until you get close.
    Resist.
[3] Also we have been there before for socials.  But not this time.
    Don't get confused or indeed sidetracked into Dirty Dick's.