introspection (and Perl 6)

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Thu Jan 24 00:26:40 GMT 2008

On 23-Jan-08, at 5:03 PM, chromatic wrote:

> In conclusion, here are some select quotes from @snob[0] (I hope
> "my @snob :=
> @Larry" is sufficiently clear in context) regarding learnability
> versus
> expressiveness from OSDC::Israel almost two years ago:
>
> 	With a natural language you learn as you go. You know, you learn
> it once and
> 	use it many times. So, you should optimize for expressiveness and
> not for
> 	ease of learnability. Learnability is OK, but expressiveness is
> more
> 	important.

Well honestly I disagree with Larry here. Frankly learnability is
VASTLY important for a programming language. Not just in terms of
being able to read it, but in terms of that language's success. I
don't want to learn a language I can't get a job in.

I'm not saying Perl6 is that way - I haven't written any code in it
either. But the examples I see on the web don't inspire confidence.

Matt.