Domain renewal question

the hatter london.pm at bang.meep.org
Thu Feb 28 16:29:07 GMT 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Mark Knoop wrote:

> I had a similar situation once though I forget which registrar - directNic
> or NetworkSolutions. The domain lapsed and then was being held by some other
> company who I suspect was affiliated with the resistrar

That is a similar but different situation.  Pretty much any domain that
lapses will be picked up by a domain warehousing company.  They will keep
it until either someone gives them a wad of $$$ for it (at least severla
hundred)or until google ads on it stop generating the meagre few dollars
that it costs them to keep.  If it makes them more than a few dollars a
year. is fairly generic or they don't like your attitude they may well
keep it, as it makes their portfolio more valuable.

Redemption period is pretty much the registrars way to make some money
plus nominally protect forgetful registrants, it is a fixed cost, less
than any warehousing outfit will take, and only the original registrant
can buy it.

I would advise everyone with a domain they in any way value to keep it
paid up for the next 5-10 years in advance, and add another year or two on
every year or two (else you risk everyone forgetting how/where to renew
it).  Not the hosting, which is somtimes expensive, but just the domain
part, it won't cost you more than a couple of dim sum lunches, and if
you're lucky, your registration company may even give you a discount for
paying this way.

the hatter