Better Perl

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:20:34 BST 2008

On 04/04/2008, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 04/04/2008, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > Yeah - this is again a play of 'how many web sites using Perl you
>  >  >  remember'.  What I tried was a bit more methodological.
>  >
>  >  Not really. You went to a social meeting of people who read
>  >  news.ycombinator - welcome to self-selection. For whatever reasons,
>  >  most perl startup people weren't interested and/or don't read/care
>  >  about ycombinator.
>
> That is the sample that I have available - do you have any better one?
>   If you don't have and if you don't list the reasons why perl startups
>  should be particularly uninterested in Y-Combinator - then there is
>  nothing to discuss.  You can stay with your opinion and I'll stay with
>  mine - but I would like to learn something from you - that's why I
>  named that Perlmonks node with a question.

None of the startups I work with or worked for previously had even
heard of Y-combinator.

Even if they had, they would, oddly enough be more interested in
getting on with work, than some self-congratulatory "aren't we cool
web 2.0" nonsense.

My experience is that, working for a startup as a contractor, I'm not
interested in spending my own time going to something like that, and
all the permies at startups are too busy with their startup for stuff
like that. They'd rather go bowling or home.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk