moving to the UK

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Sat May 10 01:31:49 BST 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 03:44:56PM +0100, Pedro Figueiredo wrote:
>  > On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > However, what isn't obvious, is what are the rules for an EU national moving
>  > > to the UK? Specifically an EU national moving to the UK who may choose not be
>  > > working for a bit, so won't automatically be paying N.I.
>  > >
>  >
>  > iirc, i turned up at a job centre with a letter from my employer
>  > stating i was working for them and earning x. after a couple of weeks
>  > i went for an interview in another job centre (in my area of
>  > residence), where all the paperwork was dealt with.
>
>  Sorry, your selective quoting suggests that I wasn't clear enough.
>
>  It's specifically NHS rules that I'm interested in, and what happens if you're
>  not working. (EU nationals are entitled to live here, but it's not clear what
>  health service provision they can get, and whether what they can get is less
>  if they're not working. And the bloody government doesn't seem to put the
>  rules online anywhere findable)

I wonder what your specific use case is.

I ended up in hospital for about a month in St Thomas' (zone 1, baby)
and underwent 9hrs of surgery by a world-class foot surgeon*, and have
no recollection of being asked for _any_ identification.

Mind you, that could've been the morphine...

NHS++  # helps to be white & have an english accent

In other news, for a few years being google #1 hit (now #2, it seems)
for http://www.google.com/search?q=national+insurance+enquiry
generated some 'amusing' emails, I can tell ya.

* estimated cost in the 10s of 1000s of GBP