Recruiters at Socials, Was: Recruiter spam

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Sat May 24 17:35:14 BST 2008

  GM> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:21:38PM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:

  GM> He'd also like to attend a meeting, I've informed him we are sold out
  GM> on the 29th but there is a social meeting coming up. Until now I've
  GM> given advice to recruiters on an ad-hoc basis, but I thought i'd try
  GM> to get some agreement on what advice/rules people want,

  GM> Here are my starting thoughts,

  GM>      * Social meetings are open to anyone.

  GM>      * If people are using them for a commercial purpose, then it's
  GM>        considered good form to throw something extra into the kitty.

  GM>      * People conducting commercial activities should remember that
  GM>        mongers are typically unwinding after a hard days work, so a
  GM>        hard sell is not welcome.

a local recruiting company (not me :) has sent people to boston.pm
social meetings and sponsored a round of beer. no one objected to
that. also a local firm that is a perl shop has sponsored the pizza at
our regular tech meetings for a while now as they have landed at least
one person from a presentation they gave (by a regular pm'er who works
there).

we haven't had any problems with either form of sponsorship nor have
they been rude or topic steering or anything. they just wanted to get
the word out about their job leads.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --