adsl experiences request

Billy Abbott billy at cowfish.org.uk
Sun Jun 29 23:18:42 BST 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2008, at 15:32, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> [...]
>> Not an answer to the question you really asked, but I recommend Zen,
>> they're not cheap.
>
> I found Zen's supposedly good support to be not terribly helpful. I don't
> expect the response to some carefully-collected logs over a few days to show
> what was clearly a BT-side fault to be a form response telling me to turn my
> router off and on again and similar facile suggestions.

I had almost the exact opposite -  the Zen helpdesk cut short the normal
spiel after I showed an ounce of clue and the guy successfully identified
my issues as a BT problem. The fact that I then ignored them and went a
a while without internets was my own fault...

They're also rather good at handling transfers and service changes, as
shown by my own experience and that of the pile of cow-orkers who are now
with Zen.

That said, I'm about to switch to Be, as Zen cap downloads and I've
started running out of bandwidth. Be are potentially faster and *as yet*,
afaik, haven't capped anyone, although they do have a 'fair usage' bit in
the contract.

--billy