Order of parameters to Configure

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 18:12:20 BST 2008

So I'm having a play with userelocatableinc.  It appears that the order
of the parameters to Configure matters:

This (broken onto several lines for clarity):

  $ sh Configure -Dusethreads

makes perl build and install to the right directory, and if I rename the
directory, everything works.  Yay!

But my first attempt was:
  $ sh Configure -de

where the -Dprefix seemed to be ignored.  perl was installed under
/usr/local, despite ...

  $ /usr/local/bin/perl -V
  config_args='-de -Dusethreads -Duserelocatableinc

The only difference is whether -de comes at the beginning or the end.
I've not noticed the order being significant before, and indeed all the
examples in the INSTALL file have -de (or -des) *first*.  Is this a bug?
Has anyone else noticed it?  Should I mumble at the nice p5p people?
Did anyone read all the way to the end of this email?

  While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some
  investigative work which unfortunately involved a bucket of
  puppies and a belt sander
    -- after JoeB, in the Monastery

Did you REALLY read all the way to the end?