My New Job (Was: Social Thurs 8 Jan 2009)

Jasper jaspermccrea at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:06:57 GMT 2009

2009/1/5 David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk>:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:56:02PM +0000, Jasper wrote:
>
>> Cycling in London isn't bad, as long as you don't do anything stupid,
>> like riding up the inside of a large lorry where the driver can't see
>> you. You do get the odd shit of a bus driver, too.
>
> What, like the ones that actually want to get to bus stops?  Cyclists
> can avoid this problem by overtaking on the *right* and at other times
> riding in the road with all the other traffic instead of in the gutter,
> if you can keep up.

I meant the ones who, in their 50m long bendy buses, drive past you
and then cut right over, forcing you a) onto the pavement, and b) to
catch up and get onto the bus threatening to drag them off physically
and beat them to a pulp.

I agree with all the overtaking talk, but with cycle 'lanes' appearing
and disappearing like the Tardis at take-off, it's not sensible to
start weaving all over the road.

> And please assemble your mechano *carefully*!  I've seen two foldy
> things spontaneously fold themselves, both times mere feet in front of
> rather large vehicles.

I had a chain snap going away from the lights on the Brompton, ended
up having a nice lie down in front of all the traffic. Ouch. I blame
myself and bad maintenance, though, rather than the kit.

2009/1/5 Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com>:

> Typical programmers come in two distinct groups - large, or wiry.  The
> muscle density on the wiry ones is actually quite high ;)

And then there's Makepeace.

--
Jasper