Have at it

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 11:00:04 GMT 2009

----- Original Message ----

> From: Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org>

> I've had this debate a hundred times over since sitting down to
> write APP2ed: these days Perl programming is much more about using
> tools well than using the language particularly creatively. The
> techniques you need to know are how to use the tools.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  Some things are Perl-specific because of the nature of Perl (e.g., protected and trusted methods aren't provided natively in Perl -- though yes, they can be implemented), but thinking of classes as responsible agents isn't limited to Perl or its tools.  Understanding why an object should never be allowed to be in an inconsistent state also isn't limited to Perl.  Neither of these important issues is drummed into most OO programmers, though.

See http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/03/the_authenticationfairy.html for one example of an OO issue which is important, but not explained well.

Cheers,
Ovid
--