a friday question... a saturday answer

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Apr 4 17:29:50 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:30:33AM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
> Paul Orrock wrote:
> >If you have an event that will happen at a future point in time, say 4
> >am and you move it to run at 2am that same day, have you moved the event
> >forwards or backwards ?
> Interesting question.  Brushing aside the obvious answer that it's just a
> matter of semantics, I would say that it all depends on your chosen temporal
> frame of reference.

Because entropy always increases (by definition) the direction of time
is fixed.  All you can hope to fiddle with is its speed.

However, this has the distinct whiff of a circular definition about it,
so I recommend forming an inter-departmental committee to discuss over
beers the terms of reference for an inquiry into the subject.

  NANOG makes me want to unplug everything and hide under the bed
    -- brian d foy