Sending $US to the US

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Oct 8 00:02:04 BST 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:03:24AM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> Sue Spence wrote:
> > For a one-off deal like this, it's better to work with a friend with the
> > goods (US bank acount).  Failing that, it would realistically be easier to
> > say "I am going to get married, and it is going to cost a rather silly
> > amount of money to get TX to give me the paperwork I need."  Setting up a
> > bank account is a lot of fuss for one transaction.
> >
> > I don't suppose the UK can accept your passport instead?  I have usually
> > found that the two are interchangeable, but I didn't get married here. :-)
>
> As a matter of fact, the Spanish passport and birth certificate are not
> exchangeable: there is one bit of information in the birth certificate
> that is never copied anywhere else, the civil register branch where
> you're registered in Spain, which is the ultimate irreplaceable proof of
> citizenship, for the Spanish government.

Since birth certificates mention parents, you can determine with the
birth certificates whether the bride and groom share a parent (many
countries forbid marriage between (half-)siblings).

You cannot find out that information from passports.

OTOH, every Dutch citizen has his/her own personal number, which is
the primary key to find out all information goverments have stored
about them. And said number can be found in the passport.

Abigail