Anyone know of a ...

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 14:39:49 BST 2009

Chris Jack wrote:
> Don't take this as legal advise, so without prejudice, and all that...
>
> The one time I have had to sue someone for non-payment, what I recall happening is:
>
> 1) I sent the person a few letters/invoices requesting payment, getting no response.
>
> 2) I got a solicitor to send a letter requesting payment, getting no response.
>
> 3) Solicitor sent a letter threatening to wind the other person's company up if payment wasn't received, getting no response.
>
> 4) Solicitor put an advertisement in one of a set of standard newspapers/publications stating they were about to start winding up procedures.
>
> 5) The day the advertisement went in, the other person's company's bank accounts were frozen.
>
> 6) Later that afternoon, the other person paid me all the money owing plus my solicitor's fee
>

> I still feel this urge to laugh when I read point 6 - but read points 1-3 again before concluding I'm a completely heartless b******d. I know you're looking for a cheap option, but getting a solicitor to send a few form letters is unlikely to cost you a bomb.

And there is nothing to stop you sending the winding up order (a
"section 47" IIRC) yourself, but it will cost you some money (er.. £45
again IIRC).

You don't need solicitors. And one of these landing on the doormat does
tend to galvanise a debtor, if it is at all likely to (bearing in mind
that the premises containing said doormat may be empty).

Dirk