Cheap places in central London?

Philip Potter philip.g.potter at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:18:48 BST 2010

On 4 May 2010 17:16, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
> The YHA place next to St Paul's Cathedral:
> http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/london/hostels/london-st-pauls/facilities.aspx
>
> I was really surprised by how good it is when I stayed there a few
> months ago (somebody else picked the accommodation), as well as being
> low-cost. In particular it corrected several of my misconceptions about
> youth hostels:
>
> * You don't have to share a big dorm with people you've never met; there
>  are rooms available for small groups to have exclusive use of.

This depends on the hostel; best to phone and ask. Some I've stayed in
have double rooms with lockable doors, while others only have big
dorms.

> * They have duvets! All bedding is provided.
>
> * You don't have to join the association to be allowed to stay there
>  (though members stay for £3 / night less).

You get the discount if you're a member of Hostelling International or
an affiliated assocation too.

Also
 * Many youth hostels sell alcohol these days
 * Many youth hostels sell hot meals, you don't have to self-cater
though again phone and check with the particalur hostel.

> The entire place was clean and modern, and far nicer than any budget
> hotel I've stayed in in central London. I enthusiastically recommend it
> to anybody.

I've not tried London youth hostels but I've stayed in many hostels in
the countryside and they've never disappointed. Though if you want
private accommodation you might have to phone a few hostels or get
quite a big group willing to share a dorm.

Phil