iPhone Barcode Readers

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 10:08:33 GMT 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 09:49:06AM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:

> Need some advice on iPhone Barcode reading apps - so I turn to
> london.pm, my favourite group of iGeeks.
>
> My wife is a teacher and they're about to start a stocktake of all of
> the books in the English department. Rather than count them all, she
> wondered if there was an iPhone app that could help them.
>
> Most barcode reader apps that I've seen will scan a barcode and tell you
> lots of interesting things about the product. That's great, but for this
> purpose we also need to count the number of times we've scanned each
> barcode. We'll also need some easy way to get the data[1] into a
> spreadsheet on a real computer.
>
> Has anyone seen an app that does this?

You want "Redlaser".  It's free.  It makes an annoying beep whenever you
scan something.  It does all the fancy looking-stuff-up nonsense, but
when you email the list to yourself, there's a list of barcodes attached.
It doesn't tell you how many of each one, but that's a simple matter of
sort|uniq -c.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Today's previously unreported paraphilia is tomorrow's Internet sensation