Jobs in London

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 16:03:33 GMT 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 04:48:52PM +0100, marcos rebelo wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 16:32, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:13:05PM +0100, marcos rebelo wrote:
> >> Since the offer of a Long Term Contract seem too easy, I was trying to
> >> understand:
> >>  - in which situation may a Organization fire a person that has a Long
> >> Term Contract?
> > Broadly speaking, failure to perform your duties, gross misconduct, or
> > the position being redundant.  The latter two mean things like stealing
> > from the company or punching your boss, or the job no longer needs to be
> > done.
> In this point, the Organization may change my work and after say that
> is no longer needed. Being fired because of that.

If your job no longer exists - if, for example, you were hired to be a
Unix admin but they foolishly switched to Windows later - then they may
get rid of you.  If your job changes - if in that example you became a
Windows admin - then they would *not* be able to get rid of you simply
because your original job disappeared.  They would, however, be able to
get rid of you if the company later needed fewer Windows admins.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

  The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use.  If it
  fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
  make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
     -- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916