LPW 2011 carpooling

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Aug 19 13:19:20 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:59:58AM +0100, michael lush wrote:
[...]
> 90l fuel £100 (depending where you get it and neglecting 800 miles
> wear and tear on the car)
> Short stay saver on eurostar (~£120)
> 12 hours worth of driving munchies (£10+)

Say, I wonder how people would have done the route before the Chunnel was
built? Drive to Hook, pile on the ferry (£59 for car and driver, £12 for
each additional passenger, these are single fares), drive from Harwich to
London. Fuel costs should be lower given you're not driving to Belgium or
France.

(Me, I'd probably choose to fly AMS-LCY on VLM. The time saved by not going
via LHR is worh the higher fare, plus VLM is fairly civilised as airlines
go.)

> Given you can get a flight for ~£65 you'd need 4 people to get the price
> below that and even Ryanair would give you a better ride.

Being dragged along behind the car on a rusty chain will give a better ride
than the discount airlines.