Writing About Perl

Mallory van Achterberg stommepoes at stommepoes.nl
Wed Aug 24 17:54:50 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 05:05:35PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:59:42PM +0200, Job van Achterberg wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 11:39 +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> > > So, purely hypothetically...
> > > If a popular Linux magazine had given you the opportunity to write a
> > > 3000 word article giving a practical project-based demonstration of
> > > how Perl had moved on in the last ten years, what would you do? What
> > > would you write about?
> > Developments in Moose, modern web frameworks, influences of Perl 6?
>
> None of those are of any interest to people not currently using perl.
>
> Web frameworks in particular is "so what, what's so special about that?"

I disagree.  If the audience is looking for frameworks, they're hearing
plenty about what Python, Ruby and PHP have to offer. And they're using
them for those reasons, I'd say. You have a job to do, and you look for
relevant tools. If Perl == 1990's CGI scripts in your mind, you won't
go out of your way to see anything you can use in Perl.

If one framework did what everyone wanted, why are there so darn many
of them??

-Mallory