Anyone got a US iTunes account

Andrew Beattie andrew at tug.com
Sat Aug 27 14:25:31 BST 2011

  On 27/08/2011 13:15, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> Does anyone have a) a PayPal account and b) a US based iTunes account from which they'd be prepared to send me a gift certificate?
It's an absolute pain, isn't it?

The US account must be against a card with a US billing address and
phone number.

You're not the only person facing this brick wall.

The trouble is that whilst I'm sure that your request is genuine, it is
so close to a Western Union fraud or a cheque overpayment fraud that you
really want to be asking someone that already knows and trusts you.

I just bought a MacBook Pro from the the US store (because I needed it
shipped to OWC in IL).  The system is so hard to get round that I ended
up asking a favour from a friend who is a bank manager.  He changed the
billing address on his own card(!)

The way to solve this would be to persuade Apple to accept pre-paid
debit cards such as FairFX (that would remove their risk).

I have a route to the ear of an Apple board member and an amusing tale
to tell him.  It'll take a bit of time but I'll see if I can solve the
underlying problem.

Out of interest, why do you want to buy from the US iTunes rather than
the UK?

Andrew