Beware: NET-A-PORTER

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Dec 9 13:16:03 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:57:56PM +0100, Richard Foley wrote:

> Seriously, if some of these managers could get their heads around leveraging
> the power of telecommuting project teams, they'd not have to worry too much
> about the respective costs of having a team in any one country.

This idea that with the right magic pixie dust teleworking can be made
to work regardless of the company, the colleagues, and the employee is a
nice idea, but I have seen no evidence whatsoever that it is true.

Teleworking erects barriers to communication both between customer
(internal or external doesn't matter) and geek, and indeed between you
and the rest of the people you're working with.  And communication is
*important*.  WAY more important than most geeks seem to think.

  Your call is important to me.  To see if it's important to
  you I'm going to make you wait on hold for five minutes.
  All calls are recorded for blackmail and amusement purposes.